I’m choosing a Word of the Year for 2017 to focus my attention, to be intentional in my endeavors and to remind myself what is important for my personal growth.
I dismissed the word “focus” for my word of the year because I can over-do it.. I forget to stop, eat, drink when I’m in my “space”. I can burn-out on things. Case in point: I had an epiphany in October . I realized I needed a hobby. I know you are thinking, “Wait…what?” But, it’s true. I do all things quilty. So much so that I began thinking I needed a break. I need to work in another medium. In October, my friend, Pat F. said, “I have some stained glass that is just sitting here“. That is all it took. I got busy! I arranged a private tutor, added one more friend to the mix and Viola….we are enjoying the art of making stained glass. Light, color and No Seam Allowances….makes for great fun!
For my work of the year, I finally settled on the word SHARE. My friend, Pat F., said, “don’t you think you already do that?” Well, yes. I share. I think I can share in more ways and I can certainly do it better. I can:
- time: which will include giving my time to organize, plan, direct, and quilt a minimum of 111 quilts that will be given to the Salvation Army Angel Tree in early December. That’s what we accomplished in 2016. I want to give more this year. The need is huge and growing. I am driven to keep the little ones warm at night. So, I’ll Share my time.
- of myself: to those who need a listening ear. to those who need encouragement. to those who need a smile.
- stuff: like the scraps from commissioned t-shirt quilts I’ve made. I will give them to someone who makes dog beds for the shelters. I will continue giving scraps to my friend who is making “sit-upons” for the mission work she does in Guatemala. I want to be creative and give to those who are helping others.
Teach it: sharing knowledge
- Online – what do I know that you want me to teach? Please let me know! I’m open for ideas. Really!
- Classroom teaching – working on my curriculum is a “must do!” soon.
- Private lessons for all things quilty! Beginner quilters, how to longarm quilt (using my machine), quilting techniques, fabric dying, how to design quilts using EQ7.
Tell it: sharing stories
- I am a Christian and I will continue Sharing (see what a great word of the year it is?) how God has worked miracles in my life. Case in point: In March I will celebrate (truly celebrate) my 4 year anniversary of the day I was laid off from corporate America for the 3rd and final time. 4 years without a paycheck. I dove headlong into the world of quilting. I was terrified of crashing. I lost sleep because I was filled with fears of going hungry, worried about paying the bills, and all of the other terrors that go along with a quickly shrinking savings account. Guess what? I’ve grown, bloomed, survived, thrived, and I’m still here even if the saving account has suffered. Sometimes the fear pops up. I combat it with prayer and faith. I do not know how or when or where the next miracle will happen, but I am sure it will…maybe even today.
Live it: All day, Every Day
- On personality type indicator assessments, I am equally an extrovert and introvert which means I need a balance between “alone/thinking/quiet” time and spending time with others. I do best in small groups unless I’m teaching/speaking and then I’m comfortable with 1500+or more in the audience. (Been there many times). All of that to say: To Live it, means that I must share my time, being quiet vs. being with folks. To be my best I must have time to pray, write, draw, sketch, design, make patterns, design, problem solve, organize sew, quilt, and blog. I must have time with folks to play, laugh, go, join, visit, listen, attend, minister, and share. So, I”ll focus on living in balance this year.
I welcome 2017. I’m pleased to choose Share as my word of the year. I pray it brings fresh ideas, new growth, courage and opportunities for me to SHARE through giving, teaching, telling and living intentionally.
I also pray you have a wonderful 2017.
Happy New Year!